Hair transplantation is a cutting edge procedure which has the ability to transform people’s lives. It can boost self-esteem, increase confidence and improve your self-image . But if your hair is wavy or curly, you may be unsure if you’re a good candidate for a hair transplant.
Hair transplants can be daunting, but they’re one of the best ways to restore all kinds of hair types if you’re suffering from male pattern baldness or female pattern hair loss. In this article, you’ll learn:
- whether you’re suitable for a hair transplant if you have wavy or curly hair
- what difference your hair type makes for a successful hair transplant
- whether having a hair transplant will change the texture of your hair.
I have curly hair. Am I suitable for a hair transplant?
Hair transplants can usually be conducted on all hair types, including curly, wavy, and Afro hair textures . But traditionally it’s more difficult to perform certain types of hair transplant on people with tight curls without damaging the hair bulb. Afro hair, in particular, has high transection rates (where the hair bulb is damaged during surgery) in FUE procedures, due to the shape of the punch . This can mean that FUT is a preferable hair transplant technique choice for those with tightly curled hair.
Regardless of this, people with wavy and curly hair can be excellent FUT hair transplant candidates, provided that:
- You’re losing hair as a result of androgenetic alopecia rather than other types of hair loss
- You’ve tried other methods of hair loss prevention
- Your hair loss is extensive enough to warrant hair restoration surgery
- It’s not too early for you to get a hair transplant
- It’s not too late for you to get a hair transplant.
What difference does my hair type make?
Your hair type will actually have a significant impact on the way in which the procedure is carried out and what the finished result will look like. So it’s important for your doctor to establish this in the beginning. A skilled, experienced hair surgeon will be able to give you the best advice. See how to find the best UK hair transplant surgeon.
If you have fair, straight hair, your transplanted hair will look sparser on your scalp than dark or wavy hair. Straight, fair hair is easier to transplant because the hair follicles can be removed more easily. But more of it is needed to give good coverage. If you have wavy hair, you’ll normally need fewer hair grafts to get the hair density you’re looking for.
Coarse hair also gives good coverage. So generally, fewer transplants are needed. The reality is that the fullness of hair is not necessarily a true indicator of how much hair there is — it’s simply about perception, and wavy hair is great at giving an illusion of density. Find out if a hair transplant can increase hair density.
What will my transplanted hair look like if I have curly or wavy hair?
Your donor hair grafts are usually taken from the back or the side of your head. So your transplanted hair will have the same texture and colour as the rest of your hair. Having a hair transplant won’t affect the waviness or curliness of your hair.
However, it normally takes 12-18 months for you to see the final results from your hair transplant. So those with curly or wavy hair may have short frizzy hairs for the first few months as the hair grows in.
How to find the right hair transplant clinic
When you’re looking for a UK hair transplant clinic to perform your hair transplant surgery, you should consider 3 major factors:
- Hair transplant costs — hair transplants don’t need to cost an arm and a leg, but you should be aware of cost-cutting measures taken by certain clinics that can jeopardise your hair transplant results
- The skill and experience of your surgeon — you can usually find this out by reading hair transplant clinic reviews and seeing their patients’ before and after hair transplant photos
- Medical and healthcare regulation — for your safety, your chosen clinic should be registered with the CQC, and your surgeon should be registered with the GMC.
At the Wimpole Clinic, our hair transplant success rates is 97-100%. We’ve worked on a huge range of hair types, including Afro hair, wavy hair, and curly hair:
Wimpole Clinic patient with Afro hair before and after hair restoration treatment.
Wimpole Clinic patient with wavy hair before and after hair restoration treatment.
Getting a curly hair transplant at the Wimpole Clinic
Before your hair restoration procedure at the Wimpole Clinic, we’ll invite you to speak to a specialist. You’ll have the opportunity to ask hair loss consultation questions about your individual requirements. At this initial consultation the doctors will check that you are suitable for the procedure. This will involve a frank discussion about your medical history to ensure that there is no underlying reason why you wouldn’t be suitable for surgery. They’ll also check the quality and characteristics of your hair.
At the Wimpole Clinic, we’ve worked on a variety of different hair types and can advise on whether your curly or wavy hair will impact your results. Book a consultation with our trichology team to discuss the right treatment for your hair loss and hair type.
Talk to a specialist ☎ 020 7935 1861.
Book a consultation
Simply fill in your details in the form below and we'll get in touch with you shortly.